Sunday, April 8, 2012

Deviled Eggs

Happy Easter!  Yesterday I decided to make some deviled eggs to bring over to the family gathering this afternoon.  I've always loved deviled eggs but they require so much work that I hardly ever make them.  By "so much work" I mean the peeling... I always have a hard time peeling the eggs so they come out smooth.  This time was no different, but by the last few eggs I was definitely improving.  Anyway, it was definitely worth the time and effort because these taste soooo good!  I was literally licking the bag after piping in the egg yolk filling.  The good thing about deviled eggs is that it's easy to make a large batch.  This time I only did 9 eggs, but next time I'll definitely increase that number. 

Ingredients:
9-12 eggs (supposedly "old" eggs peel better, so buy your eggs a few days in advance)
Water for boiling
2 T mayonnaise, preferably homemade
1 T dijon mustard
1 T white wine vinegar
1 t  olive oil
1 t hot sauce
1 T chopped caper berries (or capers, or dill pickle)
1 t smoked paprika, to sprinkle on top

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, cover your eggs with cold water.  Place over high heat, cover, and bring to a boil.  As soon as the eggs are boiling, remove from heat and let them sit for 12 minutes.  

Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of ice water for the eggs when they are done cooking.   With a slotted spoon, take the eggs out of the hot water and place them into the ice water.  Once the eggs are cool enough to touch, drain the ice water.   
I read a tip that if you crack the eggs before shocking them in ice water they are easier to peel.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will next time.  I tapped the eggs on the edge of the sink to crack the shell all around, and then peeled them- some under running water to see if made a difference.  I couldn't tell... Anyway, it definitely takes patience!  As you can see, some of them came out a little rough.  It's not too noticeable once they are sliced in half.

Slice the eggs in half the long way, and scoop out the yolk.  Place all of the yolks in a bowl.
Mash up the yolks with a fork or spoon.  Then add the mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, and vinegar.  Stir to combine.  Next add the oil, and stir again.  Finally, add the chopped caper berries or substitute.  Taste for salt.  I didn't have to add any to mine.  
Place the filling into the corner of a zip lock bag, and cut off the tip so you can pipe in the filling.  Alternatively, you can just scoop it in with a spoon, but this way is prettier.   Fill each egg half with the yolk mixture- you will probably have a couple egg whites left over because there won't be enough filling.  I was able to fill 8 out of the 9 eggs.


Sprinkle the smoked paprika on top, and refrigerate until ready to serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment