- 2 fresh mangoes, peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (I used full fat)
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, plus a few tablespoons extra to sprinkle on top
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 3 cups cooked white rice (about one cup of dry rice cooked)
In a medium sauce pan, bring the coconut milk, half and half, and cinnamon just to a boil, over medium heat.
Add 1/3 cup brown sugar and whisk until melted. Turn the heat down to medium low. Add the ginger. Stir the mixture frequently for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat. Mix in the rice, mango, and salt, and taste for more seasoning.
Preheat your oven to a broil, and spray 6-8 ramekins (or a 10 inch square pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon even amounts of pudding into each ramekin and then sprinkle rest of the brown sugar on top of each cup.
Place in the oven until the sugar starts to bubble on top. Remove from the oven, and serve warm. This dessert is rich but still feels light and creamy from the coconut milk flavor, and the mango adds some bright acidity to the dish. It definitely reminds you of the flavors of summer!